Dark’s Endgame Combat Hunter Ranger MOD 13

Rating
User Score
231 ratings
You have rated this
Ads

Introduction

Good morning everyone, I am Dark and this is my Endgame Combat Hunter Ranger build MOD13.

NOTE: If you are not in the 14k+ IL category or have at least 90% critchance with bondings proc’d this is not the build for you, refer to my other build Darks Combat Hunter Ranger MOD 12.

Race

I prefer people to play what they think looks cool and what they want to role play. That stated, to squeeze the most out of your character in endgame the Hunter Ranger scales off of Wisdom and Dexterity. I personally play the Drow since this race gets boosts to both of those stats.

Stat Rolls

What ever race you choose, get your DEX roll as high as possible, coupled with the best WIS roll you can get. Shoot for at least 20 points on your DEX roll after racial bonus is applied (if applicable) 18 if choosing a race that doesn’t receive a DEX bonus.

Paragon

This build is a Storm Warden, Combat build with focus on endgame content. While the AOE clear speeds of this build are insane, that is a secondary biproduct, the focus of this build is single target boss crushing damage for dungeons like TONG, FBI, MSPC

Feats

This is my current feats build,

Heroic Feats

Predatory Action – 1/5 minor increased daily damage

Weapon Mastery – 3/3  [we will lose 10% crit for 50% crit severity, so this helps offset that.]

Toughness – 3/3 [A little extra health, allows us to drain tank through most any scenario]

Swift Footwork – 0/5

Battle Wise – 0/3

Agile Combatant – 3/3 [All our damage is in melee stance, I’ll explain how to abuse this in the rotation description]

Endless Assault – 3/3 [Little extra bonus damage, but encounters main purpose is to proc blade  hurricane.]

Natures Enhancement – 0/5 [have the chance to deflect is more important.]

Lucky Skirmisher – 2/3 [Being melee range deflect is much better than even defense.]

Scoundrel Training – 2/3 [If a tank or someone else has agro, its free damage increase for our primary source of damage.]

Disciple of Dexterity – 3/3 [6% extra damage from DEX.]

Extra Action – 0/3

Paragon Feats

Row 1: Top, Blood letting 5/5 More life steal keeps us alive dealing damage.

Row 1: Bottom 0/5

Row 2: Top Fluid Hunter 5/5 Increases deflect and crit while in melee stance by 2.5%

Row 2: Bottom 5/5 This further improves throw caution, reducing the defenses lost and increasing the damage dealt

Row 3: Top Skirmishers gambit 5/5 Get a Transcendent Vorpal worth of crit severity, but lose 10% crit chance.

Row 3: Bottom Lucky Blades 5/5 After crit’ing or deflecting gain 15% encounter power damage for 6 seconds. We do both alot. (don’t care about the AP gain portion)

Row 4: Top Piercing Blade 5/5 increase our damage by 50% and make it ignore armor… yes please?

Row 4: Bottom Wilds Medicine 0/5 (this is an endgame build survivability shouldn’t be much of an issue at this point

Row 5: Top Scything Blades 5/5, increases our total damage by 5% and by an additional 5% per enemy within 25′ this can be a lot of free damage increase. The more enemies the fast we kill.

Row 5: Bottom Battle Crazed 5/5, attacking in melee stance gives us 3% increased deflect chance and damage, stacks up to 5 times and last six seconds. Thats 15% of each for free and is almost always up and at max stacks.

Final Feat Blade Hurricane 1/1 every time we use a melee encounter power, for the next 2 seconds we hit two extra times on every strike, each extra hit dealing 165% normal damage. This feat melts everything and the entire build is around maximizing its effect.

Powers

As a Combat hunter ranger you can adjust to do almost anything your team needs. However a few powers are more important to others and as a result should be brought to rank 4 as quickly as possible.

At-Wills: Split Strike (primary single target dps, deals damage in a cone infront of you) Aimed strike (applies a mini gushing wound to the target, does not stack)  Both of these to 4

Encounters: The encounters you initially want to get to rank for are as follows (these will be your primary build and used the vast majority of the time)

Thorn Strike: Short cooldown to keep blade hurricane active, and deals increasing damage as the enemies health decreases

Plant growth: Huge aoe spell with a large dot after initial burst of damage, best AOE clear spell

Throw Caution: Short Cool Down, fast cast ability that lowers our defense to increase our damage output (with a good DC/OP this should be up 100% of the time in combat)

Gushing Wound: This is used for boss fights in dungeons, biggest single target dps spell in our list, as long as you have allies to advance the bleed.

Dailies: Forest Ghost, this is a decent amount of extra damage, but more importantly you stealth and have a chance to drop agro from bosses (happens that you will steal agro… alot sometimes XD).

Features: We use different features for different situations, I’ll give some combos below

Aspect of the Pack / Blade storm (best mobclear combo, and with aspect of the pack rank 4 working properly with the artifact off hand bonus even better, also use in bossfights that you won’t be behind the boss (like second boss of TONG)

Aspect of the Pack / Seekers Vengeance. THIS is your single target boss features (get behind them and let them have it)

Boons

I’m going to attach pictures of the boons I have from each campaign, the focus of this build is Armor Pen to 60% (85% for some mobs in chult) after that priority is Crit>Power>Lifesteal/hp>anything else

Gear and Stat Priority

Gear is pretty straight forward, anything that gets your armor pen to 60% after that focus on crit, power, life steal. With the current gear set up you see below and bondings (currently rank 13, all companion gear double offense slots, slotted 4 rank 13 brutal, 2 rank 13 azure)

All offensive enchants in my gear is Brutal, defensive is also currently brutal, however black ice is another great option and works amazing with assassins cov mount bonus.

My current weapon enchancement is a Trans Vorpal (someday I’ll get a Trans fey to try out)

The artifacts I run are Heart of the Blue Dragon, thayan book of the dead, latern of revelation (active, team damage buff to effected targets), and horn of vahalla (all of these artifacts give crit (other than sigil) and power or armor penetration.

Mounts/bonus

when you shoot for an epic mount, choose either crit, power or armor pen based on what you need most at that time.

below are the mounts I use for their insignia bonus

At this point all of my insignia’s are either power or crit since I have no problems with armor penetration.

Companions

Picture is slightly off, I run the following companions

Tiger, Air and earth archons, Batari Runt, Wild Boar

Rotation

Rotation Trash Clear (positioning is key since you no longer run clear the ground, line it up to hit multiple with your split strike)

Tabx2 >Throw Caution>Plantgrowth>at-willx2>Thornstirke>repeat (Tab x2 needs to be done fast, and can be cast during the at-will animations to keep the agile combatant buff up at all times)

Rotation Boss (single target)

Tab x2>Throwcaution>Aimed Strike>Gushing Wound>Plantgrowth>splitstirke x2>Forest Ghost. Repeat (always cast aimed strike immediately after throw caution, it allows it to proc bladeflurry on every tick) In tong or any double DC or good dc with an OP group, between hastening light, and aura of wisdom, you will very rarely have downtime on encounter powers, but any time something isn’t up just spam a few extra split strikes. If possible always cast gushing wound after throwcaution/aimed strike to make sure you are getting the most damage out of all gushing wound ticks.)

Good Luck Fellow HR’s. Feel free to ask any questions

Ads
comments
  • SwaxwellSilver
    April 17, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for this build, I will be trying a few things later when I log on. I am definitely not getting the most out of Agile Combatant and have rarely used Aim Strike so looking forward to giving these rotations a whirl. I have a few questions:

How come you don’t use Clear the Ground in the mob killing phase? Do you utilise aimed strike at all in these situations?

Any reason why you are not using Soul Sight Crystal?

With a legendary mount I would you would recommend Cavalry’s Warning?

Thanks

• April 17, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Hey! Thanks for the comment and double thanks for helping keep me motivated to finally get this out there.

I don’t use clear the ground because of how much harder split strike hits, and I’m to lazy to change stuff all the time lol XD, so I prefer to position better to maximize splitstrike damage and oneshot groups then I care to spin to win.

I don’t use soulsight crystal because I wanted 100% crit without using food and pots to get there. also I’d prefer to give the entire party a damgae buff (lantern) then just myself (granted I could further increase my DPS with soul, but I’m not having clear speed issues so I do not at present)

Cavalry’s warning uptime isn’t worth it to me so I experiment around with that last inignia slot. But def feel free to try it out in your rotation

Little not with aimed strike and why its always after throw caution, it gets applied during bladeflurry, with the damage buff from throw caution, so it hits harder, and each tick procs the double additional strikes of bladeflurry.

• Kb
    April 17, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Iknw a better single target rotation here’s a glimpse of it. Gushing wound tru howa

• April 17, 2018 at 8:15 pm

Hey dude! After flurry changes, now deal 150% instead of 165% but you can hit 3 split strike before flurry end. So full rotation its gonna be 3at wills instead of 2 at wills.
    Thinking not running soul sight, often you are gonna be main dps, so soul sight its extremely good and do not need 100% crit chance, 95% its quite good.
    Aire Archon is a must for dps, cambion magus its not good with combat, also running vorpal your cambion is worthless. If you could, swicht him for an air archon.
    Cheers!

• April 17, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Thanks a bunch, guess my edit correcting bladeflurry hadn’t posted yet. And I thought I had my air archon slotted, I may have forgotten to switch back when I was trying out some other weapon enhancements

• Contractions of Fate
    April 17, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Nice write-up.

While pictures are always nice, I can’t tell what your companions are, except for the Chultan Tiger.

Cheers!

🙂

• April 17, 2018 at 9:06 pm

added the companions in typed form that I use, don’t know how fast edits are visible to others but it is updated.

• Contractions of Fate
        April 17, 2018 at 11:49 pm

Cheers, I can see it: Tiger, Air and Earth archons, Batari Runt, Wild Boar. I’m surprised at the Earth rather than Fire Archon, but I suppose if you are almost always at full health… 🙂

My Rangers are only at full health at a camp fire! They are still quite squishy!

LOL!

Cheers!

• Miles
          April 18, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Anything above like 12k, combat gets actually pretty tanky, due to all of the deflection perks baked into the tree, and the fact that literally any lifesteal proc will fully heal you.

• Bro
    April 17, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Nice build for begginers, and medium geared players.GJ.

• Meer
    April 17, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Nice build. One thing I would recommend is that you mention, that with mod 13, several new hunt gears have become Best-in-slot for Hunter Rangers, and especially Combat. For example, Fured Kiuno of the Bear (armour), Fearbringers/Jawrippers (gloves) and Boots of Willed/Enduring Boots(legs) are the current BiS for HR combat, and they’re all fairly easy to obtain. I noticed you use Ring of Offensive Action but you didn’t mention how you can keep the effect of the ring up almost 100% of the time by using Disruptive Shot. It’s an extremely important boost HR’s got in this current module.
    Also, I highly recommend swapping out the duplicate Protector’s Camaraderie for Sheperd’s Devotion. You can keep the buff up 100% of the time through Disruptive Shot and every one in your team will love you for it, since Sheperd’s work on buffed power, stacks on multiple usages and can get your defense and deflect really high if you’re in an endgame party (where almost all competent DCs and OPs use Sheperd’s Devotion).

• April 18, 2018 at 11:10 am

Where does one acquire a wild boar? No trace of one on AH, zen market, or tarmulune trade merchant.
    What effects does it give you that are desirable? ( I’m currently running 2 archons, a tiger, erinyes, and siege master. )

• Aeras Mythalbow
    April 18, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Maybe I’m just bad lol, but I find even when I’m really trying to position correctly, I can still hit a lot more targets with clear the ground than split strike. I tried running without it while farming eToS, and I got beat on DPS by an SW (86 mil to 80 mil). Switched to clear the ground and beat him on 4 more runs, breaking 90 mil every time and hitting 100 mil on one run. This was all with 13k+ guildies, except one guy who was a 10k OP.

• April 18, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Not bad probably just not used to it, so as a result the time your taking to identify and get to the right position is wasted time not getting damage. I’m looking to do a 1 or 2 hour twitch stream this weekend to do a game play demonstration and q&a. Also as you get used to it u can also swap in clear the ground instead of aimed strike until the new mechanics and positioning become second nature

• April 18, 2018 at 7:12 pm

> Tab x2>Throwcaution>Aimed Strike>Gushing Wound>Plantgrowth>splitstirke x2>Forest Ghost. Repeat (always cast aimed strike immediately after throw caution, it allows it to proc bladeflurry on every tick)

Wondering why no Split Strike between Gushing Wound and Plant Growth, for the 2 extra flurries attacks. Thanks!

• Jim
    April 22, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Why the boar? At your severity, you are not receiving a large damage boost from it (roughly 0.9% damage assuming 100% critical hit). This is even lower when you use your severity potions.

I understand the 100% critical severity to your companion, but HOW much damage does that really relate to? I haven’t ran the numbers but I would be willing to bet that a Fire Archon or the Alpha Compy would be better than the companions increase in damage.

• April 22, 2018 at 3:28 pm

I’m sure those others would be better 🙂 buttttttt it hasn’t been at the top of my upgrade lists between all my characters, and since all content is on easy mode at this point anyway no need to sweat it.

• Kb
    April 22, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Serious talk though, try this rotation on trash mobs as SW, longtrider (Tab) plantgrowth >atwils x2 TC >atwills and if any trash mobs survive tht ( which they shouldn’t with right groups) cast your gushing wound it’ll help prc blade storm but most of the time u dnt have to cast gushing wound. Main goal of the rotation is buffing PG for the one shot on mobs. As for single target rotation I got one that’ll change the way people play their combat , send ya a preview of it in the link above

• SwaxwellSilver
      April 23, 2018 at 12:03 pm

This is basically what I’ve been doing for trash mobs for a while now, hard to let go of lss, and gushing wound is good for “the one that got away”. I have also been trying clear the ground with twin blade storm and a lightning enchant which works nicely. But whatever approach doesn’t really matter for me as trash mobs are not really the issue.

Would you care to elaborate on your single target rotation? Beacause between the poor video quality and all the visuals going off in that link it’s nigh on impossible to tell what’s going on.

I have been trying Darks one in the build above and I have to say it is excellent, although I still struggle a bit with the timing of gushing wound after aimed strike, but that will come with practice.

• Kb
        April 23, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Ofc , I was gonna make a video on it but I’m really lazy. Main goal in single target rotation is buffing the crap out of gushing. Making every hit on gushing hit at its fullest, at first u want to try to stack battle craze x5 > throw caution >long strider >trex>soul crystal >daily ( if u have the offensive action ring ) gushing wound.

I like to use split the sky on areas iknw me and my team mates will be taking damage for the lighting to prc from split the sky ( keep tht in mind) video was more a of preview of gushing wound damage when fully buffed .

Another u need to keep in mind when using the trash mobs /si gle target rotation timing is key . Time ur rotation with DC buffs /pally devo. Takes some practice but when master . U wnt notice any Cooldowns / and see big dps result from PG /gushing wound .

All credit goes to my boy EQUALIZER a Hr I’ve been working with to master and approve combat build for the average Joe

• April 28, 2018 at 4:04 am

Unless I missed it what armor enchantment do you run?

• Phantom
    May 4, 2018 at 2:15 am

Why does people don’t use archery at feats?

• May 7, 2018 at 2:59 pm

People don’t use archery feats that much because archery is in a bad place. It’s my favorite hunter ranger play style but is distinctly weaker than the other two play styles by a large margin currently

• Dillon Lussier
    May 18, 2018 at 1:06 am

Why so much Crit Sev.? Combat has a base of 125% and the soft cap is at 120%. Wouldnt u get more dps from something like a lightning?

• Refihawk
    May 19, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Question for you Combat HRs out there.

Does Gushing Wounds stack?

• Matt
    May 22, 2018 at 1:50 am

I’m like an uber noob at this game, coming from 13 years of WoW haha. Just looking for some guidance… I see that you have tabx2 in your rotation for that bonus, but as a hunter ranger, do you ever actually use melee abilities in combat??? Where do you position yourself during fights? I’ve been staying out at range, but not sure if that’s the right thing. I’m freshly level 70, and there really aren’t a lot of class guides available for this game! I’m used to WoW where there’s “the” build that you can find on 5 different websites. So sorry if they’re dumb questions!

• May 22, 2018 at 1:58 am

Lol ubernoob that’s amusing ubernoob has been my gamer tag in many games over the years. And I believe you might have missed something coming into this build. It’s a combat (pure melee) build designed for near max item level end game players. I also have darks combat hunter ranger build mod 12 put there for newer level 70 players designed more for the 7-13k item level range.

• Matt
    May 22, 2018 at 2:05 am

Yeah I think I have that one bookmarked too. I will check that one out. Thank you for the quick reply! Yeah I’m totally in the wrong spot. Is there any viable way to play a Ranger actually at RANGED distance lol, with archery attacks?? That’s kind of why I started a ranger… what type of decrease in damage could I expect versus shooting for this melee build?

• May 22, 2018 at 2:07 am

Archery outside of PVP is unfortunately in a bad place right now, so when I play my archery build vs my combat build its normally between 8-10times for damage in a dungeon out of my combat build. 🙁

• Matt
    May 22, 2018 at 2:13 am

Wow… 8 to 10 times less?!! That’s insane. How can they leave something so broken in the game haha?

Anyway, thanks for your help with this! Maybe I’ll re spec melee after all! Is it better at basically all gear levels too? I’d guess so with those kind of differences in damage potential…

• May 22, 2018 at 2:24 am

pre level 70 (or at least 60) it really doesn’t matter what you do, its really just an extended tutorial to get used to the gameplay and basic mechanics of your class and the game. At level 70 archery is in a bad place, primarily since all the ways it gains damage, puts it out of the range off all the party buffs, and in solo, you can’t maintain the range because the mobs immediately gap close, and if you kite to far they de aggro and go back to the starting point full health.

• Zace
    May 29, 2018 at 7:05 pm

I see you no longer use azure and dark enchantments so what keeps you alive ?

• May 29, 2018 at 8:58 pm

This being an Endgame build I have over 150k HP, and with the sheer number of dots I have running I’m constantly full from the lifesteal I get naturally from feats and boons. Also endgame parties have tons of buff/debuffs so my defense is massively increased from DC’s and OP’s. Plus running pure brutals I do get a solid increase to my defense (plus I have a defense boon from my guild)

• Zace
        May 30, 2018 at 4:34 pm

one more question I play on ps4 so what is tab ? in the rotation ?

• May 30, 2018 at 5:04 pm

Tab is swap stances between ranged a melee, I use a heroic feat that increases damage after swapping stances. So weaving in a 2x tab during an animation keeps the buff applied while not losing any dps time in melee stance

• Yaboi
    June 10, 2018 at 7:04 am

Why use aimed strike after throe caution

• Yaboi
    June 10, 2018 at 7:06 am

Why use aimed strike with does it do?

• Leinard Esteves
    June 21, 2018 at 6:12 am

You only gave 1 daily power, what’s the other one?

• Corwyn
    June 26, 2018 at 8:57 am

Hey man. I’m still kinda new to the end game deal. I got to lv70 just fine, but now I’m here and I need help haha. I was wondering, with Plant growth having such am AMAZING cool down -.-;; what do I do for rotation whilst waiting? Or should I use a different rotation until I get better gear?

• July 4, 2018 at 2:57 pm

Hello what is (Tab) in the rotation ?

• Glockyy
      July 7, 2018 at 3:12 am

Wondering the same thing

• Stuntman
      September 27, 2018 at 11:13 pm

The Tab key on PC switches between ranged and melee stance. Tab twice to switch to ranged and the back to melee. Switching to melee stance triggers Agile Combatant for 5 seconds. If you are already in melee, you can switch twice and will give you the damage bonus.

• Jamey Glissen
    July 5, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Hello and thank you so much for showing us your build. I am super excited to try this out. I have one question that I hope you will be able to help me with. I am an xbox player, and so, when I look at the rotation, I don’t understand it per se. Like for instance, tab x2.) What is tab? If I knew what it was, when I’m going from bow to blades, I could figure it out. I’m hoping you can help me with this rotation. Please let me know, thanks.

• Rottweiler
    July 12, 2018 at 8:24 am

Hello again, I’m now at the stage of ramping up my game following from your pre end game build. Having finally reached 14.5K+ IL with my HR I wanted to ask;

A) Are lightning and barkshield respectively still viable for this build? Those are the ones I currently have.

B) Am I good running Demonics instead of Brutals for offense and Black Ice for defense? It is mostly due to pricing issues in consoles (PS4) since Demonics tend to be cheaper than Brutals at the moment in consoles, so far I’ve been doing fine, perhaps overdoing it with the arm pen from Demonics, but would it be a sensible choice to keep this way?

• Mahog
    August 6, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Not sure if to leave a question here or on mod 12 build, but is it still best to go armor pen 60% then power an crit. Reason I ask is I’m about to start my HR and was curious is all.

• Sarah
    August 28, 2018 at 4:43 am

Do you not use anything else other than forest ghost for your daily? I didn’t see anything else listed but maybe I’m overlooking it

• TrapStar
    August 28, 2018 at 8:27 am

Throw Caution? I followed your build but it’s not on my powers? Did I miss something? Thanks

• October 4, 2018 at 6:29 pm

I’m with Trapstar^ what’s Throw Caution?

• Carey Lansford
    October 8, 2018 at 8:04 am

Hi! Thank you for sharing your build. I’m a 14.9k hr and have been playing archery tree since I started in December. I”ve been looking to boost my dps (primarily to try to out-do my favorite running buddy, a 15.5k gwf) so gave your build a try in another loadout.. I’m not sure if it’s that’s I haven’t perfected the rotation, but my dps output so far is almost exactly the same, comparing via test dummies and multiple dungeon runs with the same group on each loadout..